* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Welcome to my personal thoughts and opinions…travels and personal encounters…momentary acquaintances and lifetime connections as I view life through the pink-tinted spectacles of breast cancer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

August 8, 2007

A DOSE OF RADIATION

As I am nearing my thirtieth and last dose of radiation, I decided to take a video of the whole seven-minute-or-so process. The session normally begins with the nurse retracing the markers on my chest and axilla. When the lines have been redrawn, the nurses spend some two to three minutes to make sure that the red tracer lights are perfectly aligned with the lines on my chest. After that, they all leave the room and the shots of radiation are administered from two separate angles.

Next week, on my last week of radiation treatment, the radiotherapist will give me direct radiation shots on my mastectomy site for five days. I heard somewhere that this new practice of administering a concentrated dosage of radiation on the last week of treatment actually reduces the possibility of a recurrence even more.

No comments: