* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Welcome to my personal thoughts and opinions…travels and personal encounters…momentary acquaintances and lifetime connections as I view life through the pink-tinted spectacles of breast cancer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

October 8, 2007

CRITICIZED FOR CANCER

Today was one frustrating day. Being the wife of a minister, I know that many people expect me to be at the giving end most of the time. I wonder if I was too idealistic to think that being in treatment for cancer excuses me for a while from certain expectations.

Before going into my treatment last February, I had asked certain people to resolve whatever they needed to resolve with me, so that I could then focus on trying to get well. Of course, it helped that my oncologist told me, if there was anytime in my life that I needed to think of myself first, there would be no better time than now.

Who would have thought that some people would think that I was just making my cancer an excuse to be selfish. In truth, all I could think of these past few months has been finding the strength to get up each day, and find every possible means to walk with my family through this ordeal with hope for the future.

It is a very sad and hurtful thing to be criticized because I was trying to give myself time to get well. It is a hateful thing to say about me and my husband at this difficult time and I am quite angry and troubled.

Thankfully, our purpose in life is not determined by what people say about us. Thankfully, I have learned to be angry and productive at the same time.

Thankfully cancer has taught me to value the right things in life.

"Never believe that your fate has been misplaced. It can never disappear because it's everywhere around you. Your family, your friends, you classmates, your life. Live life as if you weren't living for anything. Take your time. Tomorrow's still coming.”

Patrick Mabilog

No comments: