* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Welcome to my personal thoughts and opinions…travels and personal encounters…momentary acquaintances and lifetime connections as I view life through the pink-tinted spectacles of breast cancer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

June 8, 2007

SOME OF THE HAPPIEST PEOPLE ON EARTH

I entered the room full of strangers, a little uncertain of what to expect but definitely sure that I wanted to be there. After filling in a form and getting my pink ribbon at the registration table, Bong and I found two empty seats on a nearby table. We settled down to observe the people who were clustered in several small groups around the room. They were all animatedly talking and many of the women glanced at me with a smile, as if they have known me for years.

When dinner was served, a tall lady approached me with a smile and took the seat beside mine. She introduced herself as Fely. I am sure she wanted to move around and talk to her friends but it seemed like she had decided to sit with me that night and make me feel welcome. We began talking and I found out that she was first diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer almost ten years ago. After a radical mastectomy, she underwent chemotherapy for four months. The years that followed saw her have another mastectomy, four surgeries, a metastasis to her bones, and another round of chemotherapy. Today, she is still taking medications and is still uncertain about her health but quite happily working as one of the regional heads of a government office serving indigent people.

After dinner the program began. There were some testimonials, an induction of officers, some speeches, a slideshow. Then, I and three other women were called to the front of the stage to give our pledge as new members of Bosom Friends, a breast cancer survivors’ support group in our city. After the swearing in, the President congratulated us and I couldn’t help but think of what Bong was likely to sardonically say: is that Congratulations for being a new member or for having breast cancer?

As I made my way back to my seat, an old lady of about seventy stood up, grabbed my hand and gave me a long hug. She held me at arms’ length and kept smiling at me for a few moments more, with tears in her eyes. Then she put her hand on my cheek. I was suddenly moved to tears as I totally understood and embraced the compassion, encouragement and affinity I am sure she wanted to express to me. I suddenly had a deep longing for my mother to hug me and all I could do was say to the sweet lady, Thank you.

About to take my seat, Fely called me aside and introduced me to Araceli, who unconsciously fixed her wig as she held out her hand to me. She told me that she just sneaked out from the hospital for a few hours, where she had already checked in for her chemo cycle the next day. She was first diagnosed with Stage 1 Breast Cancer four years ago but a few months ago she found out that the cancer has come back, this time a Stage 3.

At the end of the evening, all the Bosom Friends formed a big circle in the middle of the room, hands held together. Then they started swaying to the music as they sang, If We Hold On Together. I looked at all of them a little self-consciously while imagining Kiko and Angela rolling their eyes as if to dare me to join in the song. I did join the chorus, kids and found myself enjoying it.

After the song, we all posed for a final picture. After numerous hugs and exchanges of cell phone numbers, I started to feel like I was surrounded by some of the happiest people on earth. This bunch of women, ranging from their early forties to their late seventies, came from all walks of life…a bank employee, a dean from U.P., a housewife, a pastor, a doctor, a retired principal. Some were recovering, some were in treatment, some were terminally ill. I could not help but marvel at what they all shared in common: an infectious zest for life, a hopeful optimism, a sincere willingness to share and an attitude of thankfulness and acceptance. Never mind that each one had many more medical issues and physical challenges to surmount, along with the occasional lop-sided breast prostheses and very uncertain outcomes.

Now I am one of them.

No comments: