* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Welcome to my personal thoughts and opinions…travels and personal encounters…momentary acquaintances and lifetime connections as I view life through the pink-tinted spectacles of breast cancer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

May 4, 2007

A LESSON LEARNED

Yesterday, my son Patrick was interviewed on local tv. He was asked to sing some of the songs he personally composed. I was surprised to find out that one of the songs I really like was actually written with me in mind. Naturally, one of the questions that followed was: What is the greatest lesson you learned from your mom?

During the pause, my mind started running.

Surely, Kiko would have to say courage. He knows how I have risen from the shadows of being an unwanted child to become a person of relative success. I have been quite open with them about my struggle with rejection, poor self-esteem, self-flagellation when I was young, to become a more confident, focused and altruistic adult.

Maybe, he would say creativity because he has watched me paint and write and do creative things. I would like to think he takes after me in that.

At least, he can probably say forgiveness because he has witnessed how I have chosen to forgive people who many would think are unforgivable.

If not, then hopefully he would remember love for reading…compassion...worshipful heart towards God...wisdom...resourcefulness... being hard working. Yes, I'd like to think I have all of these things.

If nothing else, then maybe survivor, for obvious reasons.

After a few moments of grappling for words to say, Kiko finally blurts out:

You know what my mom has taught me? Don’t take crap from anyone.

Oh gosh, what a poetic way to sum up sixteen years of motherhood in five words. I could die laughing.

But having thought about it, I am glad he learned that from me.

No comments: