* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Welcome to my personal thoughts and opinions…travels and personal encounters…momentary acquaintances and lifetime connections as I view life through the pink-tinted spectacles of breast cancer.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

September 24, 2006

WAITING FOR A MIRACLE

My mother is in the hospital again for the fourth time in recent months. Five days after the amputation, we gladly went home, filled with plans for the next few months. I thought that Nanay's most tragic episode was finally over. On the second morning after we got home, we tried to wake her up for breakfast but she was dead to the world. After several calls to the doctor, we found out that the nurse had made a mistake in the prescription given to us upon discharge from the hospital. Instead of the prescribed 14 units of insulin, the nurse wrote 34 units which we religiously followed.

Now, Nanay is in a coma, has been for the past eight days. Day by day, I sit by her bedside hoping against hope that she would wake up. I hold her hand as I battle with endless questions, endless regrets. The other day I let Gian come home for a couple of days and after staring at his lola for a long while he asked me, "Lola is a good person, why is this happening to her?" Sadly, I could not answer his question.

No comments: